Tuesday 13 November 2012

Well then that’d be a stupid place to put an airport then.

Today’s pre-flight briefing was a discussion on different types of “speciality” takeoffs and landings. Namely short field, soft field and obstacle. Bob was explaining that although the flight training manual treats them as separate items you can get them in combination. Worst case scenario, you might get a short grass runway with a line of trees at the end for example, he pointed out. This was when I raised the point of view expressed in the title of this post. We’re a big country, people. Let’s think about where we stick these runways! As if putting an airport on an island wasn’t bad enough. I’m dreading practicing short field landings, we’re going to get wet!!!

Short field takeoffs just feel all wrong. There is something fundamentally wrong with forcing the nose DOWN on takeoff.

4 comments:

  1. Well I live on a couple of islands (called New Zealand) and we have a few airports around because there's nowhere else to put them! :-) On a more serious note, I am interested to hear more about the soft field takeoff procedure as you have been taught. It doesn't seem to be the same one as I was taught, but I don't want to confuse you by going into detail at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHORT field , not soft field. Still have the joys of them to come.
      From what I remember , 10 degrees of flap. Hold it on the brakes until at full power, release. Back pressure on control column, rotate slightly early. Hold it in ground effect (keep the nose down). then the thing suddenly climbs all on it's own.

      Retract flaps at about 600ft ( airport elevation is 250ft)

      Ironically though we are not allowed to take our flying school planes on grass runways I don't think. Maybe with an instructor but the rental agreement I sign as a solo pilot forbids it.
      Insurance issues I think, welcome to the litigation culture of North America!

      My island is slightly smaller than yours. I'll post google images sometime soon, but getting wet is a real possibility if it all goes wrong

      Delete
  2. I stand corrected. The short field takeoff sounds pretty much the same as what we're taught in these parts. The holding the nose down bit confused me until you elaborated about holding it in ground effect. You should ask Bob to demonstrate (on a suitably long runway) what happens if you don't hold the plane in ground effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem , I can understand your confusion. Forcing the nose down on a soft field would turn your plane into a field plough I suspect!
    And as for the "forcing" bit , its just a bit of hyperbole on my part. It's what makes up my uniquely British Charm :)
    Your susggestion has been added to my list of things to ask!

    ReplyDelete