Wednesday 21 November 2012

Get Down!!!!, or where are my wheels again?

Thought I’d hit the jackpot wind-wise today. Calm , virtually non-existent.  After struggling in crosswinds and stuff, I thought that this would be the treat I was looking for. A chance to get some solo time in. I had visions of flying a couple of easy circuits, to prove to Bob that I still knew what I was doing and then up for a few on my own.

Ha, no such luck. What I failed to take into account is that with no headwind, the plane simply does not want to descend. I could not get the damn thing on the ground. It just wanted to stay up there. I was on final, with 30 degrees of flaps , fully powered back, desperately high and had to turn to Bob and say “ I can’t get this thing down.”

We practiced some slipping. We got it down but I just couldn’t seem to find where my wheels were, leading to some flat landings. Generally not a good list. Some overshoots , some flat landings a bounce or two. Comments from Bob, “Come on WMAP, give me a nice landing on the next one.”
He still sent me up solo afterwards though.

No comments:

Post a Comment