Monday 26 November 2012

My little corner of the world

For those of you not familiar with my neck of the woods, here is a link to Google maps view of CYTZ (aka Billy Bishop Toronto City Centre Airport).  I’ve also stuck a picture in where I’ve attempted to label the runways so you get an idea of what I’m going on about when I express a preference for one over another.



The first thing you will notice is the close proximity of the water. Yes, the airport is on an island. At the moment I have to get a ferry across. I’ve blogged extensively about how annoying that is.  They are building a tunnel at the moment; it is due to be finished in 2014.  I don’t want to go on about this too* much but the proximity of the water is very very very scary.
If I’m attempting short field landings then you actually flare over the WATER. That takes some nerve. Or maybe it’s just me. I’ve been dubious about whether the proximity of the water was a good idea. Right from my intro flight when I was told “if you feel water round your ankles, you need to pull back a bit more!”

What you can’t see I the picture is the proximity of sailing boats. Technically there is an area at the end of 26/08 that is marked off with buoys.  Boats are not meant to enter this area. There is an outer marker as well that boats with a mast over a certain height are not meant to go in without permission.  When I sailed, I always obeyed these rules but to be honest I was a bit disdainful of them. I mean planes have all that sky to play with right? Who are they to tell me where I can and can’t sail?
Okaaay let me tell you from a flying perspective it’s a whole different story. When you come in on short final and there are a whole load of boats in the inner harbour, you feel like you are about to impale yourself on their masts. It is very very wrong!

The yellow splodge represents roughly where my plane is usually parked, roughly half way between 08 and 26. As a side note, 33 is usually closed in the summer because the reduced lift of the hot air means you are liable to end up on someone’s balcony in the penthouse apartments just out of shot!
Oh yes , this is a fun place to learn!

 

*actually I do, it’s scary, very scary. I want you all to know this. So there!

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool. We have a small seaside airstrip onto which you have to approach in over the beach. Google "landing Pauanui video" and you'll see what I mean.

    PS. One of the video's is mine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take a look at the videos, thanks!

    Cool is one word, absolutely freakin terrifying is another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I'll elaborate. The surface of the sea or in your case lake is relatively flat and open compared with surrounding terrain. In that sense you don't have to tangle with up/downdrafts, mechanical turbulence, or obstructions on your approach/departure. Where I fly we have rather large gullies on two approaches and you always need judicious use of the throttle to maintain an appropriate descent profile because the turbulence on short finals is quite a handful. I love the smooth ride you get when overflying a large body of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit that the terrain isn't exactly extreme but it doesn't mean it is easy. If you get winds fro the north you get a lot of mechanical turbulence thrown off by the city. If you are on runway 33 you get a sudden jolt as you cross the highway on your climbout, which freaks me out a little bit. Or you get the wind funneled down the main north/south street which catches you just over the threshold. I'll admit there are probably much worse places though!
      What the picture doesn't capture is the traffic density, That is a busy little airport, smack bang in the control area of the country's busiest international airport. Your radio work needs to be SHARP or they'll eat you alive out there.
      This makes it simultaneously a great and horrible place to learn!

      Delete