Monday 19 November 2012

I’m getting really good at holding short…

…it’s the bit of flying I’m best at, mainly because I get so much practice. Today was my second solo flight. Turns out I have to do this solo stuff more than onceL. After the runway confusion of my first solo, Bob was very explicit in his instructions to ATC, “Instructor drop off, this will be the student’s second solo, one circuit only on 26

So I requested my taxiing instructions, got told to wait while she* contacted tower to get a helicopter taking off out of my way and then I pootled off to the run up area. Parked myself so as not to interfere with the other plane already there and did my checks. Sod’s law they finished theirs a fraction of a second before me, so I followed them out to the hold short line, they got up. I didn’t.
Now I appreciate what ATC were trying to do. They wanted me to get up in a space that would enable me to do a relatively standard circuit. But they kept me waiting for what seemed like forever. JPM had time to do a complete circuit in front of me before I got my takeoff clearance.

I do seem to spend a disproportionate amount of my solo time at the frackin hold short line!

 
* I think this was the same controller who was on ground during my little taxiing mix up for my first solo. I hope they aren’t holding it against me!

No comments:

Post a Comment