Friday 9 November 2012

Twice the fun but..

The general feeling on the interweb is that it takes twice of much of everything than you think to get your PPL. Twice as much money, twice as much time, twice as much studying, you get the picture.
So how am I doing?

Well moneywise its okay I guess. Neither RTH nor I are exactly rolling in cash but we have no kids, no real debts and no car, which means we have some spare cash each month. Of course we have no house either. This may be a bad thing long term.  Me flying means that RTH doesn’t fly as often as he’d like but things can’t be too bad if he’s considering getting his night rating soon.
Time wise, I am in no hurry at all. Bob’s sage advice to enjoy the journey is spot on.  Now that I’ve soloed I’m really not feeling any time pressure at all. I want to enjoy and savor every last moment of my flying time.

Studying is a little bleuch! Motivation is hard sometimes, context makes it easier. I know I’m going to have to get my head around the Nav stuff soon , and I can’t put Met off forever L I’m also a little scared that I’ve pushed the earlier stuff out my brain , so I need to refresh slow flight , stalls and other airwork stuff. I’ve also had a few lessons where I didn’t really need much of a pre-flight brief from Bob. Other than, “we’re-doing-circuits-try-to-put-it-down-on-the-centerline-and-don’t-break-it” kind of thing.
Soon we are going to be back in the dreaded “hanger of doom” classroom talking about all kinds of stuff like precautionary landings, instrument work, navigation etc. A big motivator at the start to keep up with my reading was that I was fed up of looking stupid in front of Bob on the ground*.  

I really have no excuse; I get Thursday nights all to myself. I need to read some books instead of watching crappy movies on Netflix. Oh and I need to remind myself that stalking online aviation forums or watching "Top Gun"doesn’t count as “studying” either.

 

* It would appear that I have no problem with looking stupid in the air

No comments:

Post a Comment