Monday 1 July 2013

Interesting turning point

First one for me today. I actually flew better without Bob in the plane. Weird huh?

I’d had a bit of a marginal dual flight, wasn’t sure if I wanted to solo. I did anyway and flew three beautiful pristine circuits all on my own. Sure the traffic had lightened up a bit, no real commercial traffic, just three students in the circuit. One behind each other, dutifully following the one in front.
I was in the middle behind a 150 and in front of my good friend M in JPM. I had (I think) the hardest job because I had to manage my spacing to ensure I didn’t run too close behind the 150. As an aside, it was nice to hear another female voice up there. So I wasn’t going to crowd her. I settled for dropping 10 degrees of flaps at mid downwind and powering back 500 or so rpm.

I was flying well but was a bit tired after my slightly extended and marginally frustrating dual flight with Bob. I decided to call it a day after three magnificent circuits. Always end on a high.
Problem was, I was gonna screw with M’s circuit behind me. Ah well; with a heartfelt “sorry buddy!” I called for a full stop on 08 and set myself up landing. Sure enough I heard JPM being given the order to extend, followed by an overshoot.

Sorry M !
If it’s any consolation I got one bitchin, hellish nosewheel shimmy on landing. Felt like it was going to shake my eyes loose! I may as well have been landing on a cattle grid .

Bob said I had a massive grin on my face as I taxied in. I think I was checking to see if my teeth were still in their sockets!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment