Tuesday 2 July 2013

What a difference a week makes.

Two weeks and, on paper, two identical flying lessons; 0.7 dual followed by 0.5 solo but what a difference in the way I felt after them.
After the first one I felt marginally unhappy with the scrappy way I’d flown during the solo portion, I’d flown with the plane badly configured at time. Less than optimally trimmed most the time and was just a little sloppy for the majority of the flight. Then of course there was the “dispute” between me and ATC as to where I actually was and whether I was indeed doing what I’d been instructed to*. This left me rattled the most, literally thinking “how the hell did you manage to get lost in the circuit?” I doubted my abilities severely, constantly focusing on the negatives.

Fast forward a week, I wasn’t having the greatest time up there in the dual portion but I dutifully agreed to do some solo circuits. They were good. I mean really good. I made some good decisions up there. So for a change I’m going to allow myself to be totally self-indulgent and a make a list of the things I did up there that were right, because to quote Bob , when I landed and said “well that was kinda good,” he matched my beaming grin and said “ No, that was fantastic!”
Here we go then:

·         I didn’t panic when I saw another plane in the run up corner for 08. I just plonked my plane alongside it (leaving enough space for them to do their run up) and waited. I had enough SA to know that there weren’t any commercial planes around, so no one needed to get by.

·         I recognised the fact that the plane in front of me was a 150/152 and therefore slower than me. I knew this just be recognising the call sign; how cool is that?!

·         I took appropriate actions early in the downwind to avoid crowding the slower plane, power back, 10 degrees flaps and a nice gentle cruising speed. Thus avoiding extending out over the bay with the accompanying painfully long final.

·         I didn’t even blink when ATC flip-flopped between offering me a touch and go and insisting on a full stop. Initially I called for a touch and go, on base they gave me the old “unable due to wake turbulence" line.  I requested and was given a full stop. Literally as I was on the threshold ATC changed their minds and cleared me for the touch and go. Same difference, still gotta hit the tarmac, it’s only what you do after that changes!

·         I nailed those landings, baby!

·         My radio work was sharp

·         I had enough SA to know what was going on behind me as well as in front. Enough to know I was gonna screw with M’s circuit when I blinked first and called the full stop.  Not enough to know how to mitigate that though, maybe there wasn’t anything I could have done.

·         Even the MASSIVE nosewheel shimmy I got on landing didn’t faze me too much, although it left my wondering momentarily if it was the engine about to quit. Even so, that doesn’t matter too much once you are on the ground!

Yes all in all, probably my favourite solo flight so far!

 

* I talked this over with Bob, yet again. From his perspective (with the huge and understandable caveat that he had a slightly limited view and perspective from his position on the apron); he doesn’t think that I did anything wrong. As far as he could see I did the required 360 and did indeed re-establish on the downwind and considers it highly likely that ATC misidentified either my plane or position or both. I personally have no problem with this. I can fully 100% accept that everyone makes mistakes.  I just need to know if I’ve done something wrong so I can fix it next time.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how situational awareness kind of sneaks up on you? It's not like a switch that gets turned on suddenly. It's like your world when you first start learning to fly is restricted to what is going on in the cockpit, with a minor reference to keeping the blue and green/brown outside the right way up. Slowly over time you begin to notice things until all of a sudden you are making command decisions based on something you haven't seen yet but nevertheless are aware of its existence in your vicinity.

    Have you ever wondered how this came to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good question about the SA. I completely concede that if you’d told me when I first started flying circuits that one day, I would not only know what was going on in front of me, I’d be aware of the impact of my actions on the traffic behind me and would make decisions accordingly; well a haughty snort of derision would have awaited you!
      I agree that I have a much better handle of what makes the plane do what and have the required numbers stored safely in my head. I know what speed I need for final, I know what altitude I need to be at without having to think about it, so I guess that helps give me some spare capacity.
      Honestly though, where the heightened situational awareness has come from, I don’t know. I think aliens must inject it into me while I sleep.

      Delete