Sunday 14 July 2013

Just another day at the office!

Today was the big day; I woke up to near perfect weather conditions. Amazing visibility, winds straight down the runway at a reasonable 9 knots. The only slight hiccup being that the winds were from the east (I prefer runway 26 over 08) and a small NOTAM because of the Indy car race at the Exhibition grounds.

Ironically the NOTAM should have worked in my favour, Flight School regs don’t allow me to accept a left downwind for 08, with the restricted airspace the right downwind should be the standard offering from ATC.
I got down to the school early to give me maximum time to do my walkround and just generally prep myself.  A reasonably quick briefing with Bob. We’d do a couple of circuits, he’d get out and off I’d go. He ran a couple of questions by me, seemed happy with the answers and let me take us out.

My circuits weren’t perfect, but they were ok. A little scrappy on final because I turned too soon and ended up on a slanted approach but passable landings for sure. We called a full stop on the second one; I taxied us in and parked up.
Bob got out and I took a very deep breath, switched back to the ATIS to make sure that nothing had changed and made my call. The very first time I’ve made that solo call for a “Local Flight East,” the words caught in my throat a little. I was about to set off on my own, further than I’ve ever been solo. My first time away from the airport. It was a big deal! I check myself for signs of panic and find nothing.

None at all.
A strange mixture of nerves and excitement.

I want  this
I’m ready.

I taxied back out, found a little nook before runway 08 and did my full run up checks.
All good, up to the hold short line, switch to tower. Yep, there’s a Porter on final, can I get out before it? Before I have a chance to get a word in edgeways tower gives them a landing clearance. Ok I’ll wait.

As soon as they pass I let tower know I’m ready. I line up and wait. I hear my instructions with a clarity I’m not sure I’ve experienced before. I dutifully repeat back “not above 1800, north of the Stacks, clear take off 08”
Away we go. JES is on her best behaviour today. A little sluggish to climb but it is hot  with a high density altitude and this is not unexpected, I forgive her. Gracefully she takes me over the downtown, plenty of room over the Stacks, over the downtown, gently reminding me to put in some rudder to avoid drifting into the some of the taller buildings.

ATC releases me from my altitude restriction after a small turn to the left and clears me enroute. I switch to the practice area frequency and that’s it! I’m all on my own, heading to the practice area.
The sky is mine!

More about the flight in another post but the title comes from Bob’s comment as I taxied in, shut down and calmly opened the door. He took one look at my beaming smile and said
“Just a regular day at the office, huh?”

OH HELL YEAH!

 

1 comment: