Tuesday 30 July 2013

What are you doing up here?

While orbiting the downtown I had a bit of time on my hands. This is where situational awareness is a bitch. I had enough of it to know that every single call I heard on that frequency was a little bit longer that I was going to be stuck doing endless circles. I was sufficiently competent with my height management now that occasionally I felt the “whump” of my own wake turbulence. I was listening to the planes in the circuit. Something sounded familiar. I couldn’t put my finger on it. It wasn’t until I landed and Bob wasn’t there immediately to greet me, that I realised something was up.

Bob was, in fact, with dispatch organising the obligatory bucket of water for a first solo. Another student.
Hang on, yep that means he was up there while I was orbiting. With another student. I heard him on the radio. That was the familiar sound.

To be honest, this makes me feel all kind of weird and I’m not sure why. I mean I don’t expect him to sit there chewing his nails, waiting with baited breath for me to land. In fact that he isn’t doing that is probably the ultimate compliment. He knows I’m just gonna take it out and do what I need to do, then bring her back. No sweat.

I still feel a little, I don’t know; not exactly cheated on, but when you have an ego like mine it takes some getting used to that you’re not the centre of attention. RTH says it's weird when you are solo and your instructor is in another plane behind you, and you are negotiating with them for space in the practice area.
Still I am happy for his student. First solos are awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment