Tuesday 1 October 2013

Independent hands

For a fair few lessons now I’ve been near marvelling at the way that my hands seem to know how to fly a plane without any conscious input from me. This has been a blessing, as it frees my mind up for important stuff like figuring out where the hell I am and what I need to do next.

Unfortunately I think I may have to rein them in a little bit, obviously I’ve been letting them get away with a bit too much. Today I couldn’t stop them acting out.
Power on stalls, icky at the best of times. Even worse when your hands decide that they are going to override any input from your brain and act as they see fit.

Intellectually I know that ailerons are of no use to you in a stall whatsoever. I’ve even watched a video which shows you what happens when you try to use them. My eyes know that my hands arere of no use. My feet know that they have to get involved somehow, as evidenced by my slightly over-aggressive use of rudder inputs. My hands, well despite all evidence presented to them, feel that they know better and regardless of both mine and Bob’s protests insisted that they were going to “help”.
I simply couldn’t stop myself trying to put that aileron input in. Short of letting go of the column altogether, I’m fresh out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment