Saturday 11 August 2012

The name of the game*…….

Or to be more accurate the blog.

The practice area where we throw our planes around doing turns, stalls, spins etc. is roughly east of here. When you talk to ATC you have to tell them where you are going, so that they have a rough idea of what direction you might like to be heading once you’ve taken off. So picture the scene, my first radio call that I’m in charge of, the first that I’m not just parroting what Bob tells me to. It went something like this:
WMAP: “City Ground this is Golf Sierra Alpha Romeo Cessna 172, Request taxi to active runway” (at this point WMAP is patting herself on the back for an awesome radio call)
GROUND: “TO DO WHAT?”
WMAP (quietly kicking herself for forgetting the intentions bit of the call):local flight east” (in a very small voice)

To cap it all off, later that day I was speaking to RTH, he was kind of curious as to what my plans were. At this point I don’t think we’d really discussed the fact that I wanted to take more lessons, but he phrased it in an odd way. We were talking about flying and then he said “What are your intentions?” Without even thinking (because I was still thinking about my radio call and working on getting it right) I replied “Local Flight East”
He gave me a very strange look J


*For some reason this ABBA song has been going round my head and driving me crazy. I think it’s the elevator muzzak.

No comments:

Post a Comment