Monday 6 August 2012

My current reading list.

There’s so much theory to learn as well as the physical skills of flying. I’ve already suffered 40+hours of ground school covering such topics as:
· Theory of flight
· Engine and aero frames
· Flight instruments
· Navigation
· Meteorology
· Air law and regulations
· Human factors and decision making

Really though the ground school was just an intro to these topics. You need to hit the books for real if you ever want to pass your exam. So most of my spare time at the moment is spent studying. My reading material consists of the flight training manual and a book called “From the Ground Up”, which is basically the standard recommended text. If I’m going for something lighter then I’m also working my way through a series of books called “I Learned About Flying From That”. Lighter is a relative term. It’s a book based on real life pilot mistakes and mishaps. The idea being if you read about other people’s screw-ups, maybe you won’t replicate them.

I’m finding the reading tough going (especially “from the Ground up”. I’ve tried various techniques:
· in the bath with my music on
· on the sofa watching TV, catching 5 minutes reading between commercial breaks
· the British way, with a nice cup of tea
· necking back a can of cider (maybe the alcohol will make it more tolerable!)

So far I can manage anywhere between 10-20 pages before losing the will to live. At this rate it will take me the best part of a year to finish the damn book!

No comments:

Post a Comment