Monday 20 August 2012

Apparently the trick to a successful landing..

… is to keep your eyes open. Who’da thought it? J
Seriously I know I need to relax a little. In the few moments before touch (crash?)down I tense my arms and screw up my face, anticipating the inevitable “thunk”. It would seem that adopting the “brace” position is fairly detrimental to a successful landing, especially when you are the one who is meant to be in control.
Tense arms provide no tactile feedback and scrunched up eyes don’t pick up on visual clues. Although I still think the funniest line I’ve ever read comes straight from the Flight Training Manual, and I quote “Try to judge the point at which the ground seems to be coming up so rapidly that something must be done about it”
Yeah at 65Kts that ground appears to be coming up bloody rapidly from about 2 miles out but somehow I don’t think I should start my flare at that point, any other brilliant pearls of wisdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment