Tuesday 14 August 2012

Another first

Not such a great one this time… first cancellation due to sucky weather.
The first clue should have been during my walkround, where I elected to leave the tie down ropes tied down. It was fairly windy and the flight school has rules about planes departing with no one inside. Still it looked like it might be ok for a while, so Bob and I disappeared inside for a while to do our ground briefing. It probably took longer than it should because I have been watching and listening to planes in the circuit for the last couple of weeks and had loads of questions about stuff I’d seen and heard.
Anyways by the time we came out it was looking decidedly damp and slowly getting worse. We sat it out for a while, vainly looking for a gap in the rain. We calculated the crosswind component (about 14 knots) and then waited some more. Eventually Bob got me to phone flight services (another first), who basically told me, yeah the weather’s sucky and it is going to get suckier. At that point we called it quits.
I knew this was going to happen eventually. RTH reckons that about 50% of his lessons were cancelled due to the weather it’s just bad that it happened straight after my gap of two weeks.
Oh and I got wet on the way back home because I didn’t think to put an umbrella in my flight bag. Didn’t cross my mind that I’d need one!

No comments:

Post a Comment