Monday 16 December 2013

Yep it is winter

Apologies for the lack of flying related posts but the weather has failed to cooperate spectacularly.
As advertised we got about 25cm of the white stuff over the weekend and the lake is frozen over as far as the island now.

I was hoping that the snow and cold air would bring stable weather but it seems this isn’t going to be the case. Temperatures are set to rise from the current minus mid-teens to plus 6 degrees by the end of the week.

This basically means we have a horrible, slushy winter mix lying in wait for us.

Expect either a distinct lack of posts or at least a lack of flying related ones until the weather decides what the hell it wants to do.

I thought I’d leave you people in more temperate climates with some of the lesser known features of surviving a Canadian winter

  • Artillery attacks – at least that’s what it sounds like. When you live in a high rise and the snow starts to fall off other people’s balconies, it sounds like you are under siege fire
 
  • White stains on your pants* J - the vast quantities of salt and other chemicals they use to melt the ice and stop it refreezing gets on your pants leg where it dries. Leaving you with white semi circles up the back of your legs
 
  • Sore knees and ankles – walking through snow takes effort. I am not exactly sure footed in the stuff and I walk funny. It makes my legs ache.
 
  • Fighting your way through waist high snow banks – they plow the sidewalks here but push it all to the side of the street. Crossing the road means karate chopping or ninja kicking your way through a snow bank.
 
  • Footwear logistics – my job (allegedly) requires me to look reasonably presentable at times. This means the tights and hiking boots look doesn’t cut it.  I have to plan to make sure I have the right footwear in the right place. If I go home via taxi straight from an event. I have to ensure that I have my walking boots with me somehow, as I’ll need them to get back to work the next morning.
  
I’m sure I’ll think of more.






* I don’t know what you were thinking


No comments:

Post a Comment