Saturday 19 January 2013

You look like a student with your backpack on!

A text I got from a friend who was walking behind me on the way to work.

Well she’s right, because after work I was on my way to a little impromptu study group a fellow Pilot-to-be and I have put together. It was good stuff. We swapped resources, talked about flying in general and then got down to strategy planning.
It’s working really well because we both seem to be on exactly the same page. Neither of us is interested in learning just enough to pass the exam. We want to know the details of what’s going on, how it would affect us in the cockpit when we are up there all alone.

Consequently we didn’t cover much in the way of volume of material but we did cover a lot of depth. We read information and then had conversations about it, throwing out questions to each other, exploring the “whys” and the “hows”. Discussing the differences in our planes (she flies a C152). I tried not to revert to teacher mode too much, but it is excellent practice for me. I subscribe to the theory that if you can’t explain something to someone then you don’t understand it fully yourself. It helped highlight my weak areas as well as my stronger ones.
We also exchanged useful tips that we've picked up from our own experiences. I was able to explain what "caution wake turbulence" actually means and she was able to tell me why you don't fly with blocked sinuses.
 
Same time, next week. Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment