Monday 21 January 2013

I am Canadian

Although being an immigrant can be tough sometimes. I am proud of being Canadian as well. I consider myself as British by birth but Canadian by choice. Its been a little over a year since we finally got our Citizenship here, now I’m secretly waiting for a politician to die, or a vote of no confidence in the government, or maybe a general election so I can finally exercise my political power and vote* after being disenfranchised for the past 5 years or so.

On a superficial level being Canadian makes some things a lot easier, like travelling to the USA for example. It also makes explaining both mine and RTH’s nationality a lot easier if we claim to be Canadian.
You see although we were both born in the UK and are therefore British, you can call me English but that would upset RTH terribly, because he’s not. You could technically call him Irish, but if you didn’t know what you were talking about, technically that could be offensive too! He is from the Island of Ireland and under the terms of The Good Friday Agreement, could claim an Irish passport, to do so would be making a political statement that possibly conflicts with his world-view.

Confused? Just watch this video.



Now do you see why it’s so much easier to be Canadian, eh? J
 
*Of course that would involve me having to understand Canadian politics, something I’ve done my very best to avoid the last 5 years! The best i can figure out about our government is that no one seems particularly interested in forming one!



No comments:

Post a Comment