Wednesday 23 January 2013

The many faces of WMAP

Not flying related (again!), but part of the crazy world that is my job.

I’m usually pretty good at dealing with outside contractors and suppliers. I adapt my technique depending on who I’m dealing with. Consequently WMAP at work has many personalities, there’s

·         Grateful WMAP, usually reserved for companies that have done me a favour in the past*

·         Jokey/Friendly WMAP, for companies I have long standing relationships with

·         Promising WMAP, for suppliers I’m trying to build up relationships with (always the hint of future business just on the horizon type thing)

·         Bitchy WMAP, for companies that have screwed me over. Can be used to negotiate huge discounts for seemingly small infractions.

·         Wheeler/dealer WMAP, used to negotiate with all contractors (The old "well this is a fundraiser/for charity/a good cause " line)

·         Cleavage WMAP, low cut tops usually reserved for dealing with IT/Tech people

·         Business WMAP, suited, booted and don’t  foxtrot uniform charlie kilo** with me

It can be a fine line picking which approach to use with a new client. Today had me completely flummoxed when a new company sent me what appeared to be a fetus as a sales rep.  I’m not sure if his mommy knew he was out. He came with no sales brochure, no notepad, pen, paperwork or anything.  I always carry some kind of notebook/file etc. Just to make me feel important. Even if it does look like this one


Part of WMAP’S I-really-object-to-being-forced-to-attend-this-stupid-meeting line of office accessories. There are more.
 
* No lie; I’ve got companies who have helped me out because I needed an emergency bouncy castle!

** See aviation related content! Kinda !!


No comments:

Post a Comment