Saturday 26 January 2013

Not so amusing weather stories, I weep for my native land at times!

As part of my job I have to deal with a certain international education organisation. They have offices around the world (so how come any meetings I get invited to are in frackin’ Bethesda?!) The organisation in question appears to have gone into shutdown mode for a while now. Why? Because the exam office is based in Cardiff and the U.K. has once more, ground to a complete standstill because of the white fluffy stuff. Yep, I’m talking snow.

Now Canada gets its fair share of this stuff and in recent years so has the U.K. In fact over the last few years my parents back in sunny Birmingham have probably gotten more snow than us in the Great White North aka Toronto*.  The difference is of course, that somehow we manage to cope and the UK shivers in its boots** while wincing at every snowflake that hits the ground.
So how do we Torontonians carry on while my native land acts like the apocalypse has occurred? I really think the answer lies in attitudes. Here we are used to a good run of winter (a solid few months at the very least) so we’ve figured that life somehow has to go on, so we make do. It’s why I have a desk drawer full of gloves and toques and a collection of shoes under my desk. It’s why I can be seen wandering the corridors in my hiking boots (ok that may have more to do with the fact that I forget to change out of them!) I own every possible cold weather accessory you can think of. If the snow gets really bad I own Yaktrax and spiked walking poles. Stuff like this is a necessary part of life, just like snow tires on cars. People get up at stupid O’clock in the morning to clear their drives and sidewalks of snow, because that’s what you do in winter.

Contrast this to the U.K. , which appears to regularly run out of rock salt for the roads (incidentally roads in large urban areas here are pre-treated to stop the ice forming in the first place) and the general public in the U.K. are specifically told not to clear the streets because “if someone falls on a bit you’ve cleared then they can sue you.”. Yes Canadians, read that bit very carefully. I mean, seriously WTF? I’ve had online conversations with people who don’t believe it’s reasonable to expect someone to swap the tires on their car twice a year and “where would they put the spare tires anyway?” You know somehow people manage, even if it does mean you have 4 spare tires sitting in plastic bags under your bed.
Another argument I here all the time is to do with the money. The U.K. doesn’t have the equipment to deal with this stuff and no one is willing to pay the extra money to fund it. I don’t buy this either. My tax burden (the bit of my paycheque that disappears each month) is no worse in Canada than it was in the U.K.  Somehow we fund this stuff.

From what I can see the climate in the U.K. is only going to get worse in terms of winter and snow. People you need to start getting a grip! (Pun intended!)

 

* misnomer for so many reasons, for one thing I’m  now actually SOUTH of where I lived in the UK!!

** part of the problem being that they probably don’t own boots!

 

2 comments:

  1. The trouble with the UK , is that as soon as someone sees a snowflake, the immediate reaction is 'The Day after Tomorrow' has arrived , the end of the world is nigh.

    So everyone goes out as fast as they can to the local supermarket and buys as much bread , milk and fuel as they can possibly carry.
    Then they drive the 1/2 mile back home at 5mph in their rear wheel drive BMW's (which are rubbish) , end up wrapping their car around a tree , or in a ditch, because they don't know how to drive in the snow.

    All the lead stories on the TV news are about how London has ground to a complete standstill because there's half an inch of snow at Heathrow Airport , and then don't forget the mandatory story about Elephants in the zoo all covered in snow.

    Anyway ,must dash , it looks like snow, and I've only got 15 loaves of bread , 4 quarts of milk, must get some more.

    DW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably true :)
      But I still maintain that people don’t take personal responsibility for their own safety in the winter. You mention the panic buying. It’s accepted practice here (and recommended by the government) that you have a 72 hour emergency kit in your house. Okay so ours mostly consists of chocolate supplies! But if the power went off, we’d not have to resort to cannibalism for at least 3 days! I hear people in Britain cursing the city councils for not clearing the pavements(sidewalks), here you get off your butts and do it yourself AND shock, horror, if you are feeling generous you might do your neighbours as well! Next time they’ll return the favour.
      Of course I can say this safe from my property managed condo, where we pay someone to maintain and salt the grounds, but that’s a choice we made. We are pragmatic enough to realise we have no interest in snow shovelling, so we pay maintenance fees that cover that.
      The other difference is transit, it has priority. Transit routes get cleared first. Consequently most people switch from cars to transit in crappy weather. In the UK transit is the first to quit! Occasionally it doesn’t get through, people accept this. I have a friend who lives in the ‘burbs and works downtown. He accepts that a couple of nights a year, he won’t make it home and factors hotel costs into his travel budget. It’s the price of your lifestyle. In general we accept this.
      Have to admit though, didn’t realise the snow was already at elephant level though. Let me know when it reaches the giraffes!

      Delete