Tuesday 30 September 2014

Run or walk?

Ok I’m going to come out and say it. Possibly for the first time in living history, I’m going to commit this thought to the printed (published?) word.

I AM CAPABLE OF GETTING MY PPL!

For those of you who wondered what they hell I thought I was doing all this time, I merely refer you back to the start of this blog.

Genuinely when I started this “learning to fly” stuff. I never envisioned a realistic scenario that would see me with a Pilot’s Licence.

My metaphor of choice was “like a flea trying to climb Mt Everest”

Well it looks like the summit might well be in sight. Even though I had a fair amount of feedback from Bob-the-pretend-examiner after my last practice flight test, it wasn’t anything stupidly major. Nothing that I can’t fix. Nothing that I don’t feel is within my grasp.

So I’m allowing myself to dream a little. Make some future plans.

Plans in the cockpit.

Without an instructor.

I am blessed with some adventurous friends who actually want to fly with me, they appear to be almost as keen for me to get my licence as I am. I’m particularly proud of K, who has gone from someone with a fairly deep rooted mistrust of air travel in general to someone who wants to fly with me.

Somehow, watching my less-than-stellar videos and listening to my tales of woe about the various manoeuvres I’m forced to do has helped her. God knows how!

But she wants to fly with me and I want to take people out on flights, so who cares how it has ended up this way?

Now there are many things to consider for my first-flight-as-a-proper-pilot; who to take, where to go and so forth. And I’m a little torn, the sensible part of me realises that I should start off with baby steps and probably take RTH up for a little local jaunt, so we can get comfortable with each other in the wrong seat of the plane. But part of me really wants to shove a couple of my friends in the plane (willingly of course, no abductions here!) and just do something epic. Go somewhere I’ve never been, do something I haven’t encountered before. Something that’ll force me to think on the fly (pun intended).

Run or walk, that’s the question.



No comments:

Post a Comment