Wednesday 1 October 2014

I’ve got a bad feeling about this

“So watcha got for me today?” I enquire of dispatch. As usual I’ve beaten Bob down here and will get my walk round done before he arrives.

“JPM” they say, pushing the clipboard and keys over to me.

“<BZZZT> wrong answer!” I laugh, mock pushing the keys back again.

I take a glance at the flight sheet, JES is out on her third flight of the day and SAR is nowhere to be seen.

“Who broke SAR?” I ask

The answer is no one, she’s in for her inspection, needs new parts and they haven’t arrived yet. Either way no one’s flying her.

I know it is silly but I really have strong preferences plane-wise. JES is, of course, my ultimate favourite. She fits me so well, in so many ways. She’s gentle; I never have to fight her. I just like the way she handles. Apart from the plethora of duct tape inside, she has all the other bits I want as well. Interior pockets to stash stuff. A seat that is as comfortable as those seats get and, most importantly, for a directionally challenged person, a heading bug.

SAR is ok. Lacking in a heading bug, which bothers me slightly. Since she’s had all that work done to the engine and firewall she handles a lot better. She stalls a lot more gently as well.

JPM however, irritates me. I’m not 100% sure what it is but I just don’t trust her. The seat back is stuck in the fully reclined position and won’t move. The seat sticks on the rails as well. These are minor annoyances but she just seems to handle funkily. I can’t get her trimmed at a sensible speed and she feels a little under powered for the S model. I have to knock the power up to 2400 before getting the 110 KIAS that I’m used to seeing from even JES who sports a full 20hp less.

She idles at a barely within limits 500rpm and quite frankly the engine just sounds wrong. There’s something about it that I can’t put my finger on but puts me on edge. I’m constantly waiting for it to quit.

I have no evidence that this is going to happen and yet I’m still waiting on it.

For me to pass my test the examiner needs to have confidence in me. In turn I need to have confidence in my plane. I’m not sure that I do in JPM.


EDITED TO ADD : Don't misunderstand me , those planes are well maintained and I have NO evidence whatsoever that there is any problem whatsoever with JPM, it just doesn't sit right with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment