Sunday 16 June 2013

Best day out … ever!

It has been a busy few days but yesterday was amazing! RTH and I grabbed a hire car for the day and headed to the Hamilton airshow. I’m still trawling through the near 2000 photos that RTH took to find the star shots to put on my blog but expect a few posts in the next week or so with some kick ass photos. As his nick name suggests RTH is an awesome photographer as well as everything else.

There was so much going on that it is hard for me to pick out the highlights. As we pulled up on the bus from the parking lot, I started bouncing up and down in my seat going “ooooh, shiny planes!”
We spent a few hours wandering along the ramp display of the planes that would be starring in the actual airshow. I loved the way you could get up close and personal with the planes. I’m a very tactile person. I spent a few minutes running my hand along each one, absorbing every morsel of history I could. Making a personal connection with each and every plane.

Of course this meant that by the end of the day I was covered in a thin film of sun block, engine oil and wheel bay grease, as well as sporting a slight dent in my forehead from where I whacked it on the HUD in a Hercules!
The weather was just perfect, warm but not baking. A slight breeze (it started to pick up a bit later) and just enough cloud to provide some contrast for the planes in the sky.

So much going on but I managed to:

Get very up close and personal with a Lancaster bomber. I actually stood in the open bomb bay doors.

See a formation fly by involving a Lancaster, Mosquito, 2 Hurricanes and a Spitfire

Sit in the co-pilots seat in a Hercules

See a pilot do things with a Beech twin that it was never ever designed to do

Watch an amazing display by the Canadian Snow Birds, OMG they fly close!

Feel the raw power of an F18 Hornet flying overhead

So much more I can’t even begin to remember

Such an inspiring day.

1 comment:

  1. ".... whacked it on the HUD in a Hercules! "
    Done that before.

    K

    ReplyDelete