Tuesday 18 June 2013

A different perspective.

I`ve always liked airshow type stuff, even though before this weekend I'd never actually been to one. Let me tell you I got a whole other perspective on so many things. For a start you cannot possibly get the full effect of an aerobatic display by watching it on the TV. You need to be there to see just how close those planes get.

I also get a very different perspective as a potential pilot now. That little bit of knowledge I have means I appreciate so much more what these guys are actually doing. I spent a lot of thing thinking (and at some points shouting out loud!) “You can't do that!” It’s almost horrifying to watch someone take off and then perform a barrel roll at about 50 ft above the runway! Arghh!!!
I don’t have the vocabulary to describe a lot of what I saw, I just don’t know the names of the maneuvers but it was impressive beyond belief. I remember screaming “opposite rudder!” at the pilot who let his plane fall in a sustained flat spin for what seemed like forever!

I watched the Snow Birds fly in such close formation that you couldn’t tell how many planes you were looking at, bemoaning the fact that I had trouble maintaining my position within a hundred feet let alone a few inches as these guys do. I have a hard enough time correcting for the wind direction enough to keep my circuit square, these guys fly in tight formation while constantly making those adjustments. Add to that the fact that the guys on the outside of the formation need to fly at a different speed and course to the guys on the inside. I have so much respect for them.
I also took a few minutes to chat with the guys from CFB Trenton, because if I ever get into trouble out there, these are the guys who are going to come looking for me. I desperately tried to ignore the fact that the payload officer of the Hercules looked approximately 12 and I sincerely hope that my forehead didn’t do any damage to the co-pilot’s HUD!

Finally I remarked to RTH as we finished wandering down the line of planes that were about to fly in the display, “they must have to preflight the hell out of these planes.” Can you imagine what state they are in after tourists have been poking and prodding at them? Even so I really appreciate the fact that they do let us in. it’s awe inspiring to be able to sit in them, touch them and make that pilot to plane connection.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment