Monday 6 May 2013

Two steps forward, three steps back

My aim last lesson was to prove to Bob that I could get myself out to the practice area and back unscathed, with minimal assistance. To show that I’m safe to be let loose on my own. Unlike the run up to my solo flight where I was dreading Bob getting out the plane, I’m desperate to show him that I’m safe to be out in the practice area on my own. To show that he can trust me, that he hasn’t been wasting his time for this past year.

So I was delighted when I managed to get us to Claremont with no help whatsoever. I was actually map reading as well. I took us on the slightly longer along-the-shore-to-Pickering-then-head-north approach but I was looking for landmarks. I initially misidentified Brock road for a short period of time but then realised that the road was on the wrong side of the transformer station. I made position calls. I figured out how far away I was from places. I even remembered to set my Heading Indicator. Life was good.
And then summer hit. We’ve gone from Winter temps to Summer in a matter of days. The air is hot and a little unstable, perfect for the winch launched hang gliders I spotted over Brougham but less useful for someone who doesn’t like the jolts of the updrafts.

It unsettled me, too much for comfort. I can actually cope with the ups and downs but these currents were causing bank, it felt too much like I was battling the plane, and the thought of doing that while trying manoeuvres that I’m still not happy with was just too much.
I’m deeply ashamed to say that I bailed on the flight. I took us home, Ironically yet again managing the navigation perfectly.

So I make progress in one area and completely and utterly fail in another. What the hell am I doing to myself?
Gotta get my act together and soon. Not just myself I'm letting down here.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment