Monday 11 March 2013

Showing it who’s boss!

A massive difference in my attitude today, for some reason. Bob noticed it straight away. It probably started before he even arrived. I got to the flight school about half an hour before him. I got there, took a quick look at the winds (light and variable) and made the decision there and then that I was going to solo. I got the flight sheet, made the requisite two entries (one dual, one solo) and started my pre-flight. Written in ink for all to see, thus lessening the chances of me backing out.
During the dual bit of our flight, right away Bob said “you’re not fighting the plane today.” He also gave my first circuit a 9.5 out of 10! I pointed out to him that I’d realised that if I fight the plane, the plane wins.

I just seemed to have so much time up there; the circuit flying was a breeze. Good altitude control, really good situational awareness, good solid flying, excellent decision making. All of this despite Bob’s reassurances that it was okay if I was a bit rusty, I hadn’t done circuits for a while.
The landings were another matter, flatter than a pancake and bouncier than a slinky! Still Bob must have thought we were doing OK because he got out shortly afterwards. Leaving me to tame that plane all on my own.

And tame it I did, sort off, kinda, maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment