Wednesday 13 March 2013

New found confidence.

It may sound weird to say this but the fact that I royally effed up my landings during my last solo flight has helped my confidence no end. You see when things go wrong it bothers me. Not the fact that they go wrong but I’m constantly second guessing my ability to deal with them. I didn’t react well during the wake turbulence incident (something I will blog about in the future I promise*). That was the thing that shook me up the most, not reacting to it properly.

Today though, all that changed. I botched those landings and knew it. I also knew what to do about it. I didn’t break the plane. Once I realised that I was a little too bouncy and that the bounces were getting bigger not smaller. I was totally in control. Throttle in and away we went. I appeared to have time to think, evaluate and deal with the situation, even when in reality it was a split second thing. I even remembered to bring the flaps up in stages, nice and controlled instead of my typical fling them up in panic manoeuvre. Shame Bob wasn’t there to finally witness me getting that right!**
Even more importantly, I knew why my landings were a touch on the kangaroo side. Too fast, full flaps and no headwind plus a newby pilot made for a springy time! Ok it took me a couple of goes round to finally figure that out. But figure it out I did.  Again my reaction to these events was totally different to how it has been.

Before, the fact that I wasn’t able to land would have, quite frankly terrified me. I mean it is every student pilot’s nightmare, getting it up and then not being able bring it down! I actually found it amusing though. I laughed, believe it or not! I said to myself (out loud, I often talk to myself) “WMAP, you are going to have to land this thing at some point you know!” The mischievous part of my mind briefly considered requesting a “bounce and go” from ATC but I wasn’t sure how good their sense of humour was. They must have seen my appalling efforts though, probably gave them a bit of a laugh!
Obviously I did land (just a minor boing) and I felt invincible. Today, right from the outset I was in charge of that plane. For 0.5 hours that plane was mine to fly. I was the pilot in command, in control of my own little piece of flying equipment. And command it I did. Looking back even in my dual circuits, Bob was a passenger in MY flight. I’ve broken such an important psychological barrier. Solo time doesn’t scare me now. The next step is to enjoy it. I’m excited at the prospect of what’s to follow.  Sometime soon I’ll be off to the practice area on my own. The whole sky will be mine. I simply cannot wait!

 

*I’m kind of ok with the incident now; I wrote some pretty strong blog posts at the time. Looking back I massively overreacted and I’m kind of embarrassed about that. I need to find the right time to post them. Now isn’t it because I’m on such a positive roll.
 
 **I’m sure when I tell him, he’ll believe me. I don’t lie to Bob. I even admitted to him about a bounce on my final landing that he didn’t see. I don’t see any point in lying to him. He’ll figure it out eventually. Trust works both ways and  I’m always brutally honest with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment