Monday 4 March 2013

It’s the little things…

…that get me excited! I was really happy with today’s flight. Two forced approaches and made the fields both times (although I will admit to “losing” the field temporarily on my first go). I also managed to figure out where the hell I was.  I even knew which way was North! Listening to the soundtrack of the flight is mildly amusing to say the least. I’ve never heard anyone so enthusiastic about spotting a road. I was positively beside myself with glee when I spotted a train, thus confirming that they were indeed railroad tracks below us. And as for spotting the zoo, well you’d think I’d won the lottery.

None of this though, compared to my absolute amazement at making the field when attempting the 360° approach to a forced landing. On the ground I’d struggled with visualising this method. The math made sense to me but I just couldn’t picture in my brain what to do with the plane. Still I figured I’d give it a go and see what happened. Turns out it makes a whole load of sense up there. I picked put my field, got myself positioned up, started my rate one turn and gently orbited my way down.
The video is on YouTube. Yes, I was that excited about making it down! To cap off a pretty solid flight, I nailed that approach and landing to 33. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment