Wednesday 27 March 2013

New Author?

So I started this blog on July 3rd, but I actually started my flying adventure on April 21st 2012 with my familiarisation flight with Bob.

Looking back at things I’ve come to the rather startling conclusion that I’m not sure that the person who started this blog really exists anymore. I started this blog as the “World’s Most Anxious Person”. I really don’t think I am anymore. How can I be? When I deal with all kinds of simulated emergencies every lesson without a second thought.
When I first started flying, even being in the plane was a terrifying experience. I was scared to touch anything or do anything without Bob’s say so. I was acutely aware, every moment, of the fact that I was in a plane flying and that I had the potential to cause it all to come to a very nasty end. Now, I know this is going to sound strange but I forget I’m in a plane. I’m concentrating on the things  that I need to do and no longer worry about the fact I’m in a small metal can with an engine bolted on the front with the potential to come hurtling down to the ground.

Everything has changed, I deal with real life “emergencies” with ease*, new situations don’t bother me. I still don’t like flying commercially but I’m hardly in a minority there. I don’t know if the people who know me recognize the change, maybe RTH does ( I know he’s very proud of what I’ve achieved), maybe the crew at work**, I don’t think Bob really knew the “old” me. He must see every student going from nervous starter to more confident pilot but for me the change has been so much more than that.
Flying is one hell of a way to find yourself. I really recommend it
 

* I think I may annoy people at work slightly with my new attitude. If they come up to me with something they claim is an “emergency”, I’ve been known to ask “is anyone dying, are we about to crash into anything?” When the answer is no, my usual response is “Well its hardly an emergency then, what’s the problem I'm fairly sure we can fix it?”  It may not win me any friends but it has done wonders for my mental health

** Out drinking the other night with my colleagues from the IT department, one of my buddies just kept looking at me and every time I mentioned something tricky or difficult at work would say " But you just flew a freaking plane!" That was pretty much the extent of his conversation the entire night.

3 comments:

  1. Its a big accomplishment!

    There will have been some anxious passengers a few minutes ago on an Air Canada Dash 8 that was coming into land as a Porter Dash 8 entered the runway for its take-off roll - quick thinking and a go around saved the day. Someone will probably be called to "the office" today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! you see this is what hapens when i stop looking out my window. I miss things.
    bet there's an interesting CADORS report in the pipeline. I will keep na eye out for it.
    I've been cleared to land at the same time as the guy behind me before. And had to go around because they forgot about me!

    Glad to see it happens to the big boys as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminds me of a quote from an Australian cricketing great, Keith Miller, who flew Beaufighter's and Mosquito's in WW2. When asked by Michael Parkinson years later how he'd dealt with pressure on the cricket field he laughed and replied that "pressure was having a Messerschmitt up your a**e, playing cricket was not."

    So you see, its all relative...

    ReplyDelete