Wednesday 6 March 2013

Power + attitude = performance

Yet another of Bob’s little mantras (I’m thinking we need an “often heard phrases part 3” soon!) This one is all about making the plane do what you want it to, basically the power setting, combined with the nose pitch decides what the plane will actually do (climb , descend etc.).

Well I’m mixing this up a little, for me the equation is results = confidence = enthusiasm = performance (it reads backwards as well!). Let me explain, the more I achieve, the more I build up my teeny tiny shreds of confidence and the better I do. This has become readily apparent in my last few lessons.  My enthusiasm is just soaring at the moment. I’m enjoying every single moment up there, I can feel the improvements, and I can see the results. I’m learning new stuff and loving it.
When I got bogged down in the circuit it was very hard to appreciate that every time I went up there I was improving. The improvements were small. Significant but on a small scale, finesse rather than gross skills. Important but soul sapping at the same time.

The stuff I’m doing now is fun, albeit in an “OMG-I-can’t-believe-we-get-so-close-to-the-ground” kind of way! It’s rekindling my enthusiasm but more importantly it is bolstering my confidence. After I soloed I still kind of had the “you got lucky” mindset  in that yes, I managed to fly a circuit and yes I got the plane back in one piece and no I didn’t violate any major regulations but any fool can pull that off once. I knew that I would be expected to do more of those solo circuits in succession and really wasn’t sure if I was up for it. Then the weather stepped in and has been out of solo limits for a long time now (typical winter weather here in the Great White North.) Now spring is (hopefully!) just around the corner and the other stuff we’ve been doing out in the practice area has helped a lot. Hell if I can navigate us out there and back with no major traumas I’m fairly certain that I can manage two or three trips around the circuit without getting lost. Compared to the workload I have been experiencing, this should be a doddle*
I know that next time Bob asks me if I want him to get out and let me do a few on my own. I don’t think I’ll be bottling out. Sure my heart will still be trying to thump its way out of my mouth, but I’m willing to give it a go.

 

* yeah don’t worry, I’m also aware of the consequences of over confidence. I don’t think that is going to be an issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment