Friday 22 March 2013

How my life has changed since I started flying

Last post was number 300! That means you fine people have sat through 300 posts filled with my self-doubt and angst. Well done you. I thought it might be fun to stick up a “how my life has changed post”

These are true (mostly!)

·         On a Friday afternoon retreat to the pub, friends inevitably ask me “flying tomorrow or drinking?” because they know if I’m doing the former then I won’t be doing the latter. Seriously I suspect my alcohol consumption has dropped by about 80%

·         I’ve forgotten what it is like to read for pleasure. I feel rebellious if I pick up a book to read that isn’t about flying

·         An evening of fun with my husband involves a VNC chart, a VTA chart and a copy of the Canadian Flight Supplement

·         My study looks like an aviation shop exploded in there. Every surface appears to have something aviation related strewn over it.

·         A CAR is no longer something you drive

·         the weather forecasts on TV drive me insane because they don't give me the info I need.( don't care about how sunny it is , what's the crosswind?)

·         I’m more likely to tune into ATC on the radio than watch the TV. I even paid for the live ATC app on my phone despite having a frequency scanner box at home.

·         "Emergencies" at work make me laugh - you about to crash? No? Then it's not an emergency.

·         I've invented a new form of currency, the "flying lesson". One cut and colour at the stylist is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of a flying lesson. The new boots I want are about 2/3.

·         I actually tried to trim out my World of Warcraft flying mount for straight and level flight.

·         I appear to have developed motor skills - I have no idea where from but I can actually manoeuvre a shopping cart around without killing anyone. Primarily because it doesn't have massive wings strapped to the side. After taxiing an aircraft anything else is a doddle

·         Very little in life fazes me anymore, I managed to successfully organise a large conference that I’d been thrown into at the last minute without breaking a sweat.

·         Life is exciting again.

·         I’m having more fun than I’ve had in years!

 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment