Monday 26 May 2014

Say again?

Bit of a puzzling interaction with ATC last flight. One of those incidents where I suspect each of us was hearing something other than what was actually being said.

I’m not criticising ATC here. He was dealing with a plane that had wandered into his zone unannounced and one that was fussing over a semi functioning transponder.

Video is here.

Tell me what you think he thought I was saying. I’m convinced that my readback of the code was correct. Are you?

I ask because, despite being as native an English speaker as they get, some people have issues with understanding me. The main difference in Canadian spoken English as opposed to English spoken English tends to be in the vowel sounds, this means I often have to repeat myself to be understood. 
And people in Starbucks, Timmies etc. have no hope in hell of getting my 2/3 vowels name correct.
I invent names on a regular basis to use in such stores to save the inevitable.

McDonald’s last attempt at my real name was  SHARI.


Not. Even. Close

No comments:

Post a Comment