Wednesday 21 May 2014

Am I a weather wuss? (part 2)

On reflection I think I’ve distilled down what my fundamental problem with any kind of weather decision making is.

A lot of the decision process is instinctual, does it “feel right”?

Two issues with that. One I don’t have the experience to have developed good instincts yet and two, well two is a little more psychologically complex.

I’ve heard people say that you should always listen to that little voice in the back of your head and if it tells you that flying in these conditions isn’t a good idea then you should listen.

The problem is that little voice is ALWAYS telling me not to fly. I always have doubts in the back of my mind. I’m very conscious of the fact that I could be too cautious.

I’ve gotten better at looking at what the current conditions are and making a decision based on that. I believe that proper pilots refer to it as “establishing personal minimums.” It’s easy for me to decide not to go in a 20 knot crosswind or when the upper winds are a blowy 45+knots.

When it comes to predicting future conditions though. I’m still very unsure. On paper yesterday’s conditions looked fine for flying right up until that moment when I got on the ferry. A cloud base of 2000ft AGL is perfectly doable. Visibility of 5 SM is not ideal but certainly ok for circuits and a 30% chance of rain and low cloud is a 70% chance that it won’t happen.

How do you decide?

For the record despite the skies still looking Okish to the east, by the time my wheels up time got here it was monsoon rain and even the Porters were overshooting!

Still I was second guessing myself to the point where RTH told me to put down my phone and “stop stalking the weather”

Once the rain started (at exactly the time Bob had predicted, leading to a text form him at the instant the rain started pouring down saying “et Voila!”). I knew I’d made the right call but getting here wasn’t easy.

Flight services hadn’t been hugely helpful in that their prediction had been that I’d probably be ok for circuits. The flight school hadn’t been able to give me any more info than that because no one was up flying, so no PIREPS. Bob was probably still stuck in his office somewhere, possibly even in a different weather zone (stuff can be really localised here).

I just didn’t feel confident in my decision. And I’m not sure why. No one has ever pressured me to fly in dicey weather but I feel guilty every time I cancel those flights all the same.

If anyone out there has any "how to predict the weather tips", I'm all ears.



6 comments:

  1. Look at the METARs for the last few hours. Helps to see what direction the weather is trending in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point. I may have gotten a little lazy at this. I pull the weather up on my phone. It doesn't give the historical data. I should look at this too.

      Delete
  2. Ask yourself "what if the weather *is* worse? What's going to happen?

    Airplanes fly perfectly well in heavy rain, and summer showers are short-lived. You have plenty of fuel. And as a student PPL you're learning the importance of being able to divert your flight from the intended destination.

    So you have to fly out to Claremont for a bit, and come back later? Or head to Oshawa to wait it out. Or Buttonville. So what? You're a pilot, that's what pilots do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying, Thinking about it ( and thank you because your comment has made me think), I guess I have this stupid idea that someone's going to be p!ssed off with me if I call them up and say " Hey it's WMAP , your plane's in Oshawa!"

      Delete
  3. Speaking as an instructor. I would want to have the babies of a student or low-time ppl with enough self-possession to be actually ready to divert to an alternate if the weather was iffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm,
      I have all the likely local airports highlighted on my VTA, with the tower frequency penned in above them.

      I always map out in my head which way the weather is moving to know which way I'm going to be running.

      If it is coming in from the west , try Oshawa. From the south maybe B'ville or Markham.

      On paper I'm prepped, mentally I don't know.

      Oh and you can't have my babies, sorry. Although I do keep trying to offer them to dispatch when they ask "how do you want to pay?"

      Apparently "first born child" isn't an option.

      Delete