Friday 23 May 2014

Fun.

Been a while since I flew. Cross country was planned for last weekend but for various reasons didn’t happen. I’m planning on having another go this weekend, but yet again I’ve fallen foul of the “solo currency” rule.

Not being particularly keen on doing the inevitable token-one-circuit-with-the-instructor-to-prove-you-haven’t-forgotten-how-to-fly immediately prior to a long cross country flight.  Bob graciously offered to squeeze in a lesson after work.

The plan was for some dual circuits, solo if I wanted. No pressure but RTH had the plane booked immediately after me for a night lesson, so it was kind of implied that I should try my hardest not to damage it too much!

The weather the previous day had sucked. The kind of fog where you can’t see the ground. I was busy at work for most of the day but the fact that I could see a patch of blue if I craned my head and peered out of my sub-basement office window filled me with some degree of confidence.
The winds were a little blustery but forecast to die down and swing around to be pretty much down 26 by the time I’d be solo.

Off course it would seem that the wind didn’t get the memo. Bob and I took off into Northerly gusting winds. It was hard work. I was in JPM as well. She fights back.

That combined with the mechanical turbulence that gets thrown up from the condo towers made for a sporty ride.

You know what though, as well as being physically hard work, wrestling the plane from place to place.

It was FUN.

I can’t believe I’m saying that.

Yeah it was really challenging, not just because of the crosswind, but the fact that the winds were so unpredictable. I really had to be on top of them, focussed. Anticipating where they were going to shove me next.

Make the base to final turn later because the wind’s going to push you out. Add a squirt of power on final as the gusts suddenly cause you to lose 10 knots of airspeed. Keep those crosswind inputs right the way down and there you go.

A reasonably successful touchdown!

On the third circuit Bob offered me the easier option of a full stop on 33.
Amazingly enough, I declined. I was enjoying myself too much. I wanted the practice. I was doing well.

Challenge accepted and met.

When I first started circuits I used to get mock-angry with Bob for suggesting that crosswinds were fun. It may have taken me a couple of years to get what he meant.

But maybe I finally do.


No comments:

Post a Comment