Wednesday 28 May 2014

Hanging with the Harvards.

Tillsonburg airport is home to a squadron of Harvards. The same Harvards that I had to follow home  oh so long ago when I was just being let loose in the circuit.

I was hopeful that I’d at least be able to sneak a look at the shiny yellow beauties on the ground.
Anyways, I was on my way to Tillsonburg, heading the correct way courtesy of Toronto Terminal. 

At five miles out they instructed me to report on the local channel and bade me farewell. Helpfully adding that there was traffic in the circuit, so that if I spotted it, I should have a fair idea of where the airport was.

Hmm, I can see something. I can see three somethings. One of them is trailing smoke. There appears to be an airshow going on.

Weird. Still I need to let the locals know I’m here. So I report to the Unicom. The gentleman is highly apologetic but would I mind terribly holding North of the airport until they are done.

I agree to (not a huge choice really!) and find a suitable farm building to orbit over.  Wondering aloud “why won’t people let me land!” I suddenly realise that I have the best vantage point ever.

I’m watching an airshow from the air!

Careful to concentrate on the flying, I can’t help but sneak the odd glance as three Harvards barrel roll over the runway.

Eventually the kind people at Tillsonburg let me know that there’s going to be a short gap. I take the opportunity to sneak in. I make the appropriate radio calls and join mid downwind for 26. As I turn over the airfield it dawns on me that a lot of people came out to watch these majestic planes.

And currently they are short of viewing material.

I’m going to have one hell of an audience for this landing.

Pleasedontscrewup, pleasedontscrewup, pleasedontscrewup. I mutter under my breath as I set up for an obstacle landing to avoid the inconveniently placed trees at the threshold.

I land without incident, which I’ll take anyday and exit the active, remembering to report clear so that the Harvards can land after me.

I wander into the flight school, get my log book stamped and introduce myself to the gentleman on the other end of the Unicom. He apologises profusely for the delay. I’m hyped up and buzzing from the view I’ve just had. I tell him that was the coolest thing that has ever happened to me. No apologies needed at all.

I chat with some of the spectators and then hear the amazing noise as the Yellow Beauties land.  As I’m wandering back out to JES, the pilots come over to talk to me­­. Once again they seem to be apologising. Once again I quickly reassure them that I am more than happy to have encountered that kind of delay.

Gallantly they offer to help me move JES around. She’s totally fine where she is but they are all kinds of cute so I reluctantly accept their offer of assistance.

We talk a little more, they wish me well for my future flying, complement me on my radiowork (I sound like a pro apparently!) and I said farewell. As I was strapping myself in I heard a knock on the window.

In a final gentlemanly act they give me a strip of Harvard commemorative stickers “for being such a good sport.”

To cap off an amazing visit, I get to give way to a Mustang as it landed.

How many students get to experience that!

Almost worth getting lost for.

Being the muppet that I am, I really did fail to get any decent photos. I was too busy gawping at the planes. But I did shoot a couple.


So here’s JES, just hanging with the Harvards!


No comments:

Post a Comment