Sunday 16 December 2012

When can you call yourself a pilot?

I fly planes now. No one can argue with that. But am I a pilot yet? At what point can I legitimately call myself that? I’d always assumed that it was after passing your flight test and getting the coveted licence*. I’m not sure the general public agree though, my work colleagues refer to me as a pilot all the time.
 
During my last trip to Florida, I was travelling with 3 colleagues. All of whom I’d primed about my dislike of commercial flying and the need to ignore me if I start freaking out. As it turned out, I was OK on both flights, despite so­me chop on the way out.­­ I actually found myself in the slightly bizarre position where I was the only one who wasn’t apprehensive.

We were coming into land in a significant crosswind. I'd spotted what was going on as we set up for our final approach. My fellow travellers obviously hadn't as we approached the runway sideways. I looked to my work collegues as we touched down left wheel first to say "cool crosswind landing" only to see them clutching the arm rests in a way that I recognise all too well. "oh is that what it was?" They asked, releasing the death grip a little. The guy on the end of the row looked quizically at my boss.
 “She’s a pilot” she explained. I started to argue that at best I’m a student pilot, but it seems the distinction was lost on both of them. Apparently if you understand exactly how it is that you didn’t just die horribly in a plane crash, then to the travelling public, you’re a pilot!

 
* Very occasionally I allow myself to dream of the moment when I possess this hallowed document. I wonder if it is in the same way that a young child might dream of being a movie star, technically possible but highly improbable.

No comments:

Post a Comment