Monday 22 December 2014

Highs and lows.

One of the main difference between D’s Mooney and the 172’s I cut my pilot teeth in, is that his is a low wing plane vs the high wing Cessna.

I’d never really given the difference much thought to be honest, other than “some planes are different to the one I learned in.”

Now though, I’m starting to contemplate the various advantages and disadvantages of each plane design. As a former student, the tendency is to judge the plane you learnt in as “normal” and judge everything else relative to it. The fact of the matter is though, the 172 is an excellent training aircraft but may not be the best choice for a plane to go places in.  The 172, for example, is touted as a four seater plane but if you put four adults and baggage in it, well you’re going by road because you haven’t got any room for fuel and you are probably well over your takeoff weight.

Other differences aside (D’s Mooney has retractable gear and a variable pitch prop), the age old debate of high vs low wing continues. Now I’ve never flown a low wing, but I’ve flown in one. Based on that these are my observations

·         It is a lot easier to check the fuel in a low wing plane. No milk crates needed

·         It is easier to get into a high wing plane, no climbing on the wing needed and there are two doors

·         You have to be a lot more careful taxing a low wing, cones and other assorted apron furniture passes easily under a high wing. I think it would be easy to take out taxiway lighting if you weren’t careful

·         Crosswind landings concern me a little; I think striking a wingtip would be easier in a low wing, especially if you slip it in like I tend to.

·         Despite other people’s opinions, I actually find the visibility in turns slightly better in a low wing.

Now my final observation and I honestly don’t know if this is purely psychological or due to the fact that the Mooney is a heavier plane but I feel a lot more stable in the low wing. The little bumps and jolts of everyday turbulence just don’t seem to concern me as much. I’m a lot more comfortable in the plane in general.

This is a phenomenon that warrants further investigation. I’d love to get some flying time in a low wing. A Piper or something. Now I just need to find one.


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know , now to figure out how to get there. Flying in to fly a plane seems a tad excessive somehow ;)

      Delete
  2. " You have to be a lot more careful taxing a low wing, cones and other assorted apron furniture passes easily under a high wing. I think it would be easy to take out taxiway lighting if you weren’t careful"

    Something my instructor has been hammering me on from day 1. "Keep it on the center line. You *are* going to fly a low wing someday, and if you taxi off the runway like that you'll take out a sign or a light."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your instructor is a wise man, you're even wiser if you listen to him ;) I'm sure Bob told me this at one point, i probably filed it under "why are you bothering me with this irrelevant stuff" at the time!

      Delete
  3. It's actually not a comment. I am just introducing myself as student pilot at the same airport and flying school. I only have 15 hrs and I should be doing my 1st solo next. I would appreciate your experience if you can share with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amr and welcome to my blog.
      Good luck with the solo, it is an amazing experience , I just hope the weather lets up for you!

      Drop me an email at localflighteast [at] gmail.com . I'm more than happy to share whatever I can.

      safe landings!

      Delete
  4. "Now my final observation and I honestly don’t know if this is purely psychological or due to the fact that the Mooney is a heavier plane but I feel a lot more stable in the low wing."

    This has nothing to do with the high vs low wing, but the design of the wing/aircraft. Try one of the Diamonds, and see if you still feel the same.

    K

    ReplyDelete