Friday 7 November 2014

My first PIC decision.

After the excitement of getting my student permit I was more than eager to take RTH up for a scenic flight. I booked us a plane for an hour and a half and was relishing the thought of my first flight as PIC. Showing off to RTH just how much I’d achieved.

The only thing causing me a little concern were the forecast winds. From the North, strongish and gusty. So much so that even Bob felt the need to remind me to keep an eye on them (we’d been having a random text conversation, we do that occasionally!)

I told him, with the utmost of confidence, that I’d already “briefed” my passenger. I was going to make two attempts on 26 and then try on 33.

The morning arrived and the winds were as predicted, maybe even a little gustier. I was uneasy. I really wanted to fly, I was really unhappy with the prospect of a challenging crosswind landing.
I mulled it over, for several hours really. And then I caught myself. Refreshing the live wind data every couple of minutes. “What are you doing?” I ask myself.

“We’re not going” I inform RTH, “From the moment we took off I’d be stressing about the landing. I’m not going to be having fun and I really want to enjoy flying with you”

RTH didn’t question my decision for a second.

The sky isn’t going anywhere and I’ve always said that I’m going to be a fair weather flyer.
My first decision as PIC was the decision not to fly and while I’m a little disappointed, I don’t think it’ll be the last.

For those of you who are curious, this is the live runway data as I’m writing this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment