Sunday 10 February 2013

So how did I do?

Last week I gave myself a little bit of a mental shake and decided I was going to “own the flight”. I set myself some targets, let’s see how I did:

·         I really did fly that plane to the best of my ability. Not perfect but a good solid flight, the kind that leaves you coming away with a warm feeling inside (that may be Bob cranking up the cabin heat again; we exist in two different temperature zones I feel!)

·         I didn’t exactly pretend he wasn’t there because it was a bit of an instructor led lesson (demoing forced approaches) but I did stuff as I saw fit and if Bob had to correct me , then so be it but the decisions were mine!

·         I made all the decisions that I was able to. Getting better

·         I did navigate us to the practice area, in that we made it there. My map reading needs improvement and my estimated heading was off by a tad too much, but once I found Brock Road, I was able to spot landmark villages and orient myself accordingly. I need to work on my chart handling skills, more about that in another blog post.  It is getting better every time I am out there. I can feel the improvement. It is doing my confidence the world of good. By the end of the flight I was answering Bob’s questions about where we were and where various landmarks were, easily. So much better than last time. I can physically feel a difference in my abilities. Even if I did keep mixing north and south up!!!!

·         My position calls around the practice area, on the common frequency were great. Really happy with them. I fluffed up my really easy radio calls on the ground thoughL Typical.

·         No power on stalls today, forced approaches, FUN!!!!!!!

·        Bob gave me the option of several things we could do in today’s lesson, the winds weren’t going to let me solo.  I decided to try something completely new and challenging. It was a good decision.

·         No solo today, not my fault.

·        I did believe in me and I aced that flight, woohoo! (except the landings, yes plural! dismal performance is on Youtube if you fancy a laugh)

The main difference, as always, was my attitude. I was determined to enjoy every minute of that flight and I did. Practising forced approaches was so much fun and even my kangaroo impression on landing left me more giggling than cursing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment