Tuesday 5 February 2013

A tale of two bags

In this post I described the things that I need to carry with me for an average flight as my workload and what is expected of me on an average flight has expanded, so has the amount of crud I need to carry. So much in fact that I’ve had to replace this

 

With this:

As somehow that list has grown to encompass the following:

·         License/radio license/medical combo

·         Canadian flight supplement (CFS) – lists all known airports/aerodromes in the country along with basic info such as runway length etc. I’ll talk more about this in another post

·         Pilot Operating Handbook – basically the “owner’s manual” for the plane. I actually have two of them, one for the “R” and one for the “S” model

·         Logbook – I don’t actually need to carry it but I forget to log flights if I don’t

·         VTA and VNC charts

·         Chart rule – marked in both statute and nautical miles, mine is customised with the phrase “use this side” on the nautical miles side!

·         E6b flight “computer”

·         Various pens/pencils/coloured highlighters – for  use in flight planning and navigation

·         Eraser – for fixing my screw ups when attempting the above

·         Flashlight – you never know when it comes in handy, I even keep one in my purse!

·         Swiss army knife – engraved with my name – an old friend , used extensively when I was teaching, usually to rewire my lab (much to the disgust of our IT support staff)

·         Calculator – under  pressure I don’t trust my ability to do mental arithmetic

·         Notebook – freebie from Bethesda conference, page size fits nicely on my kneeboard

·         Go Pro camera and headstrap – for inflicting my flights on others via the medium of YouTube

·         Sneakers – I discovered the hard way that you can’t taxi a plane in winter boots!

There’s still plenty of room in there. I’m sure as I go along I’ll discover more stuff that I want to carry with me. It is a nice bag J. The red “Remove Before Flight” tag is also an essential part of my kit. Every pilot must own at least one of a selection of these particular accessories, it’s the law!
 Check out here for an idea of what the range encompasses, believe me the lanyard is possibly the most tasteful of the selection!

Oh and in transferring the stuff from one bag to the other I discovered that I still have the original bag of skittles still kicking around in the bottom. Bleurgh! I may need to replace that candy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment