Friday 15 February 2013

Not a fan of the current weather.

Yesterday the “Senior Management”* at my workplace spent the entire day running around in circles to ensure we had a “snow plan” in place.  Last time, when the threat of snowpocalypse hit us we worked on the principle that now we had a plan in place; it’d be a shame not to use it, so a snow day was duly called.

Excellent. I went home last night fully expecting the obligatory snow day to be called. I set my phone where I could hear the call coming through without having to get up**, mocked the fact that RTH would be going to work anyways (he’s only a 5 minute walk from the office) and tucked up for the night safe in the knowledge that I would be getting a free day tomorrow.  In fact we were so sure that we would be at home the next day that most of us cleared our desks, tidied up loose ends before the weekend and made sure on the way home that our 72-hour emergency supplies were adequate (3 bottles of wine should be enough, yes?) We even made a pact that if we were given the gift of this day, we would dedicate at least a portion of it to studying for the various qualifications we are working towards.
I was a little puzzled then when by 6:15 I hadn’t heard anything, no call, no text. At 6:30 I pull up the school website. Oh crap, we are open! Big message at the top of the page that says precisely that. Bugger, Bollocks, F#ck!

I trudged through about 10cm of snow on the way to work, discovering the hard way that my winter coat actually attracts snow and makes it stick. By the time I got to work I looked like a yeti. Of course I arrived to a scene of chaos. People phoning in late, stuck, staff and students alike. The main switchboard voicemailbox was full. The phones were going crazy.  I quickly changed out of my jeans and into my emergency skirt***, grabbed my hairbrush to go in search of a hand dryer to blow dry my soggy hair.
Of course I got side tracked in helping the various agency people find which rooms they were actually meant to be in. Half an hour later I was still wandering around with dripping hair and a brush in my hand! My boss was discrete enough not to ask questions!

It is still snowing, I work in a basement office, and the snow is halfway up our window. I think I have a flight booked for tomorrow. Bizarrely enough the weather forecast seems to think tomorrow is a glorious day to fly.  I’m not convinced. Now of course I have to bloody get home. It hasn't stopped.

 

*Senior management being a slight misnomer in that I’m not convinced that they can “manage” the proverbial p@ss-up in a brewery.

** Although we have an official autodialer thingy that sends out a snow day message , us support staff have our own unofficial system based on whoever gets the phone call first texts the others.

*** Yes I keep an emergency skirt in my office, less to do with the weather and more to do with my ability to end up wearing my lunch.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment