Saturday 2 February 2013

Armchair navigation

Another brilliant use of my camera. Navigation is still quite challenging for me. I have a hard time matching what I see on the chart to the terrain around me. Doubly so now that the snow has landed. So while reviewing our flight to the base of Lake Simcoe on the big screen TV, we paused the action at various points, allowing me to orient myself with the terrain. We’d freeze the action and RTH would ask me where I thought we were and to find us on the chart. It’s much easier to do it when the terrain isn’t moving and you can actually physically point to the feature on the screen and you can be doubly sure that you are both talking about the same point. Other wise it can be really tricky when flying to describe what it is you are actually talking about, “that field there” can cover a wide range of possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment