Wednesday 20 February 2013

I fought the plane….

…and the plane won!

Bumpy flight today, gusty winds from the North stir up all kinds of turbulence. I still don’t like flying through the stuff, although Bob was quick to point out that although I’m still not 100% happy in it, I’m worlds away from how I used to react. Now I may be loud but I suck it up and fly through it. I will admit to getting minorly freaked out by low level manoeuvres today. We were practicing the 360° approach to forced landings. The winds got gustier the closer to the ground you got. I was not a happy bunny to put it mildly. I tolerated Bobs demo but got nervous when it came to my turn to have a go. I politely bowed out. I was really conscious of the fact that we could have easily got caught by a gust of wind and clipped a wing on a hedgerow or something on the way down.
I’m aware that if you are actually doing a forced approach then you can’t pick and choose the weather, but today I did have that luxury, so I exercised it. I just didn’t want to be in a situation where I was going to be genuinely worried about crashing. In our debrief Bob reckoned I made the right call.
The flight conditions make a huge difference to how I manage, today I was back to being at my limits workload-wise. It was very noticeable. As usual the first skill I lose is my ability to form coherent sentences, hence my radio work suffers. Although this is a tad frustrating, I’m not unduly worried. I’ve been here before and gotten through it. It’s just going to take time and I’m fine with that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment