Monday 24 September 2012

To fly or not to fly

That is the question...
So I’m sick and despite Bob’s gentle jibes it has nothing to do with the boozing and schmoozing that I carried out in Bethesda and more to do with my crappy sinuses and the air quality in commercial planes
I have a cold. I swear it’s been a long time since I had a genuine full blown bout of the sniffles. It sucks! This is my busiest time at work as well, so calling in sick is not an option at the moment. I struggled through 3 days of work feeling like crap and am now contemplating if I should be flying tomorrow or not.

I’m over the worst but I’ve still got that mildly fuzzy headed feeling at times. I’m also obsessing slightly about my ears. For a couple of days now I haven’t been able to pop my right ear. Now I hate being sick and would rather push on through most things than sit and wallow. When I had surgery earlier in the year, it took a supreme effort from RTH to keep me from going back to work after 2 weeks (I’d been signed off for 6 weeks). However, even I draw the line at potential barotrauma.
I’m mildly paranoid about my sinuses. I had sinus surgery about 6 years ago to fix various problems. I know what sinus pain feels like (lived with it constantly for 5 years before that). I can’t even contemplate flying like that. Luckily most of my sinus problems seem to have disappeared since I had the surgery ( and since the move to Canada) despite the operation to fix my deviated septum leaving me with a permanently perforated one.

So for the past two days I’ve been desperately trying to convince myself that I can clear my ears*. I’m sure that people have been giving me strange looks as I sit there pulling faces trying to pop my ear.
I think I’m developing a mild ear obsession. It is very very weird the stuff that flying does to you!

I’m still not 100% sure what I’m going to do. I’ll let you know what happens


*Despite my usual cavalier attitude to taking it easy when sick. This is kind of a hard limit for me. I have no desire to burst anything. No ear pop, no flying.

 

2 comments:

  1. Take a break! Why chance sinus issues and potential pain when you can go back up in another week or two?
    I'm getting over my illness too (2 days before I noticed I had a cold I was more prone to seasickness than I had been all year) - my joints ached and I had no idea why but I kept sailing. Now I think I did damage to my back and sciatic nerve and won't be able to do the last few sails this weekend. TRY and relax and focus on getting better so you'll be up in the air again in no time! :p -KD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you were rigth. In the end I didn't fly. There's no way that I should have. Only just starting to feel better now.

      My first clue should have been the lack of enthusiasm. Its only just now that I'm missing the flying, so things are back to normal.

      Hope the back gets better :(

      Take care K

      Delete