Tuesday 10 July 2012

Why am I Doing This?

Some days I ask myself this over and over, especially when I’m hanging sideways over the practice area practicing stalls.
There isn’t a simple answer but below are a few of the factors feeding in
1.       I actually like aviation stuff.   I like aeroplanes and what they do. I find the physics interesting, the design intricacies fascinating. I even like following air crash investigations. The detective work is incredible. I’ve never been afraid of crashing really. My fears have a whole different root
2.       I don’t like flying – Ok stay with me on this one, but yes I actually dislike flying – at least on large commercial aircraft. The smaller the plane the better I am (which is insanely stupid by the way, from a statistical point of view).  I mostly dislike the physical sensation of any turbulence. My hope is that learning to fly through the stuff will make me a better passenger. Its not working
3.       RTH thought it would be a good idea.  He’s right (don’t tell him I said that though), if we ever want to fly anywhere as a couple, having an extra set of hands would be useful. And if anything did ever happen to him when we were up in the air , I need to be able to get the plane back on the ground ( Shortly before making the decision to take this on , this is exactly what happened to a woman in the US. Her husband had a heart attack and died at the controls. Luckily she’d had some flight training and was able to land safely)
4.       It is addictive – Originally I only intended to take about 10 hours worth of lessons – basic this is how you get it up, this is how you point it at places, and this is how you get it down. Two lessons put paid to that idea. Screw that I’m gonna fly this thing for real!!!
5.       I’ve never tried the impossible before – I always thought that I had a pretty good handle on what my strengths and weaknesses were and played to them accordingly. Want a math problem solved? I’m your girl! Need someone to organize an event? No sweat!  Need a situation resolved quickly? Easy! Need something done that requires any motor skills what so ever? I’d look elsewhere pal. Consequently, despite somehow having managed to acquire a driving license, I don’t drive. Ever.
So flying really is like a flea trying to climb Mount Everest as far as I’m concerned. I went my entire life assuming I’d never, ever be able to achieve something like that. That I simply didn’t possess the right tools to do it. 90% of the time I still feel that way, but occasionally I have that glimmer of hope that I might actually be able to control a plane without risk of life or limb.
6.       I’m getting a rather nice ego boost from it!  I hear that achieving the impossible will really do that for you!
7.       I’m stubborn. I’m going to beat that plane into submission (or die trying!)
8.       I was ill and now I’m not.  I had some health issues , nothing life threatening or anything but enough to make me feel very bad for a long time (one of those cases where it comes on gradually and you didn’t realize just how sick you got until you are better).  After recovering from my surgery I had more energy than I’d had in years. So I wanted to try something new and challenging. It didn’t get more challenging than this!
9.       I’m insane.  Looking back at 1 through 8 it is the only possible explanation!

No comments:

Post a Comment