Saturday 2 August 2014

Adequate

This is a much misunderstood word. It has undeserved negative connotations. When Bob describes my execution of a manoeuvre as “adequate”, I’m happy with that.

It is exactly as he says, adequate for the flight test but not perfect. I respect this feedback and usually pretty much agree with his assessment as well. While I’m not aiming for perfection, it is a sensible idea to have a certain amount of “buffer space” in the airwork. Aim for slightly higher tolerances each time and the chances of you hitting the standards when the pressure is on is greatly increased.

Much of Bob’s feedback now is aimed at helping me reduce my workload, or now that many of the manoeuvres are becoming second nature, adding an extra dimension to increase safety. For example now that I’m pretty much OK with quickly plotting a course on a last minute diversion. Giving a heading, distance and ETA. Now we have time to consider estimated fuel burn and minimum obstacle clearance en route. All of these things add a “polish” to my flight planning, a hint of professionalism. An image that I think ahead about the safety and progression of the flight.

I’m sharp enough to realise that projecting this image could buy me some goodwill later. Show a competent, safe demeanour when you can and maybe, just maybe the examiner will give you the benefit of the doubt if you are marginal on something later on.


I’ll settle for “Adequate” but I should be aiming for higher.

3 comments:

  1. Adequate in flying is "good" in most other walks of life. That said, there's good reason we should all aim to be better than adequate, especially in flying.

    I got a story to tell you about my "adequate" decision making. It's not a good one. Here's a teaser: It was the second time I've ever been asked "Do you want to declare an emergency?", and no, it's not any easier after the first time.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. While for the point you are at in your flying, adequate is fine as it allows you to focus in on the inadequate things and get them sorted. There is a 'but' here, but I think it best to leave it be till after your checkride before I elaborate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think I know where you are coming from. There's that old saying "good enough, rarely is" but I have a problem with the way the word "adequate" has been hijacked.
      Hundreds of teachers in the UK are facing capability proceedings because their teaching is "adequate". The meaning has been warped.

      Delete