Friday 25 July 2014

Near future

A generally positive lesson and a brief chat about the near future. I’m gearing up for my “officially insane” week at work but after that things start to calm down. I even get to take some vacation time.

Once I get my annual conference out of the way I’ll have the time and the mental energy to devote to the next big step.

You see I’ve got all the hours I need: Dual, solo and cross country. I’m even getting close enough on the instrument time that I don’t need to fuss about it anymore. It’ll work itself out naturally. I’ve passed my written exam. There’s only one stage left. The flight test.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this, which we’ll explore in another post but we’ve got a plan to get me there.

We’ll carry on with our usual routine for the next couple of flights whereby we a have brief chat as to what exercises I think I need to practice and negotiate from there. It usually follows this framework: pick a speciality takeoff, instrument work, steep turn as part of HASEL check, a power on stall. Forced approach or precautionary landing, maybe a diversion or maybe some more instrument work; unusual attitudes or the like followed by the trip back to City to set up for a speciality landing.

After that we’ll evaluate. The hope being that I’ll have demonstrated to Bob that I have pretty much got everything nailed.

Then it’ll be time for a mock flight test. With another instructor. 

I can’t say that I’m looking forward to flying with someone else but I know I need to. I have to get used to flying with someone else in the other seat. Someone who isn't as "nice" as Bob. 

If it all goes well, it is time for the real deal.

You don’t need to be a mathematical genius to realise that the above constitutes a mere handful of lessons.

Getting so close now.

No comments:

Post a Comment