Sunday 20 July 2014

Getting there.

I think I might be clawing my way out of the plateau that I’ve found myself in recently. Although I still have things I need to work on, I can look back at my last couple of flights and say “I did that better than last time”

The circuits lesson has obviously solidified my speciality take offs and landings. Today’s lesson called for an obstacle takeoff. I set us up for a static start, develop full power and rotate at the appropriate speed. I hesitate briefly to ensure I have adequate airspeed before hitting the magic best angle of climb speed.  Once Bob calls “obstacle clear,” I transition back to best rate, the only blip being that maybe I retract the flaps a little too early. Maybe 50 feet or so.

“Nicely done,” comments Bob before sticking me under the hood as a reward.

Ditto on the obstacle landing. Despite ATC keeping me at 2000ft until the downwind, when I finally asked them please-can-I-descend-now-because-landing-from-2000ft-is-actually-quite-tricky-thankyouverymuch. I managed my speed, altitude and flaps reasonably well to clear the imaginary obstacle at the threshold and yet still manage to bring her to a full stop before 33. Maybe I needed a couple of squirts of power to bring my descent profile up to where it should be but absolutely nothing major.

I was happy with those, which is good because the speciality takeoffs and landings have been bothering me a little. Up until now I’d never really felt comfortable with them, now Bob and I are confident that I’ve got two out of three of them nailed solidly. Just the soft field one to work on now. I’m hopeful that next lesson I’ll attempt that and be able to add it to my list of things-that-I-know-I-can-do-to-flight-test-standards.

I flew out under the hood, starting a little raggedly but getting it back under control relatively quickly. My 180 degree turn was flawless. After a good while Bob relents and lets me remove the cone of stupidity.

“Where are we please?” he enquires. I dutifully pull out my VTA and try to make sense of what’s in front of me. Initially unsure, I allow the gentle turn I’m in to continue until I’m facing North, double checking that the Lake is indeed behind me. I look out and identify “That built up area is Stoufville.” I point out, “So that water tower there is Goodwood.” I glance back down at my VTA and look back up again “which means Claremont should be……” I glance down again “right off your side. Yep there it is.” I say confidently indicating with my finger.

“Good,” remarks Bob “now set me up for a power on stall.”

No resting on my laurels here then!

We’ll leave the forced approaches for another post but generally it was a good flight. Some things to work on but mostly solid progress.

I can live with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment