Monday 9 June 2014

Wardrobe dilemma

As previously mentioned Bob’s given me a whole slew on information on the flight test, all of it useful.  Even though my flight test is probably a while off (I’m realistic, I only fly once a week and summer weather can be unpredictable) I’m grateful to Bob for realising that my mind needs this level of detail and for providing it sooner rather than later. Once I stop worrying over the minutiae of the test itself, I can concentrate on my actual flying skills.

Of course with great detail comes the potential for great obsession. My current dilemma stems from the line about dressing appropriately. Of course most of that refers to the fact that turning up in spike heels isn’t exactly the thing to do (for men or women!) but there is a certain amount of care required here in selecting the correct attire. You want to project an image of competence and confidence to the examiner.

The trouble is planes and hangers aren’t the most pristine of places so I tend to wear my sloppy jeans and scrappy t shirts. Probably not helped by the fact that I’m clumsy and not afraid of getting dirty. For example I consider my jeans to be an adequate substitute when I’ve forgotten to bring out a rag to wipe off the oil dipstick. I wear short sleeves because the chances of me catching long ones on something are high.

So my normal flying outfit consists of old jeans and probably an older t shirt. Bob may have a point though; a few weeks ago before he got down there I was busy with my preflight stuff acutely aware that there was an examiner kicking around the place. I was trying hard to project the “industrious, competent student who knows what she’s doing” image.

Then I realised what I was wearing.

My Futurama T shirt.

The one with the picture of Bender on it.

With a speech bubble.

Inviting you to “Bite my Shiny Metal Ass”*

Hmm, really not the image I’m going for here I guess!

Still doesn’t help my current wardrobe dilemma though. I’ve spent less time worrying about what to wear for a job interview.

<sigh>   


* the evil part of my brain is dying to use this phrase on ATC! (I won’t don’t worry!)


No comments:

Post a Comment