Thursday 26 June 2014

A formality

After the initial euphoria of passing my written exam wore off. It was back to business as usual with Bob. I had a solo flight to prep for and we needed to have a conversation about a plan of action for the inevitable conclusion to this flying stuff: The Flight Test.

I mean I know where I’m heading and I’m kinda champing at the bit to get there, but there’s still a small part of me that can’t quite believe all of this. A slight disconnect from reality. There are two sides to my brain having very different conversations about this whole pilot malarkey.

The rational side of me knows what I need to do. It is familiar with all the tolerances, all the test standards and knows that, fundamentally, all the examiner is really looking for is for me to be safe. Don’t make any stupid decisions, don’t break the plane, understand what is going on around you and you’ll be fine. It’ll be easy

The emotional side is horrified that an examiner could even contemplate signing me off. I’m not like other pilots; I’m scared and needy. A nervous pilot of below average skills. Not prime PPL material, not a natural. Never at ease in the cockpit. An imposter in the world of Aviation.

Even as I write this I’m having trouble reconciling the two parts of my brain. I know that neither one of them is 100% right, but then again I suspect that neither of them is 100% wrong either. I tried to explain this to Bob;

“This has gotten really scary, really quickly.” I said.

“How so?” He asked “Look WMAP, you’re a pilot in all but name at this point. You can do it. Look on your examiner as your first passenger, your first chance to show someone just what you’ve achieved. Your flight test, well, “ He shrugged, “it’s just a formality now.”

I do not know how someone like him, someone so at ease in the cockpit, such a natural teacher can look at someone like me and say that.

The rational part of my brain has a number in mind as to how many lessons I’ll need before I’m ready. I suspect Bob has a number too.


I also suspect that his is about half of mine.

1 comment:

  1. LFE, Bob let you solo when you were ready in his estimation because you were ready. Rest assured, Bob wouldn't be suggesting you are ready for the checkride unless you ARE ready.

    While the checkride will be a new experience, the flight itself won't be because everything you've done over the past 2 years has led up to it. We all know you can do it. We have faith in you. Go make us proud.

    ReplyDelete