Thursday 12 June 2014

Decisions

Today is vote day in Ontario, we go to the polls for our Provincial elections. It also has the distinction of being the first election that RTH and I are eligible to vote in. Our citizenship having been confirmed just after the last round of elections for Mayor*.

Our voter cards actually arrived in the mail on the day we closed on our Condo sale as well, which was really nice timing!

The problem is that I hold very strong opinions about voting. I get very angry with women especially who don’t but it isn’t quite so easy this time around.

For the past six years I’ve been totally uninterested in Canadian politics because I literally had no say in them and politics over here border towards the “meh” side of things anyway. We had the longest standing minority government because, as far as I could make out, no one wanted to be in power.

Now though, I am in the situation where I feel I have to vote but quite frankly I have no idea who for. At the start of the campaign I said I would vote for the party who could tell me why to vote for them as opposed to just ripping their opponents to shreds**

Sadly none of them seem up to the challenge. The polls open in half an hour and I’m still undecided.





*thus I can, hand on heart, say I had nothing to do with the Rob Ford fiasco


** this is the particularly nasty side of Canadian politics, it’s all person attacks and insults.

2 comments:

  1. It's all a matter of perspective I guess...Canadian politics seem positively benign to me (from the US), with regard to personal attacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not the severity of the personal attacks is just that is ALL their campaigns consist of. I couldn't tell you what each party stands for I just know what they think of the other guy.

      Delete